ICAN developed Book Club for our students to encourage them to read. Reading enhances knowledge by exercising the brain and causing it to think more, therefore enhancing intelligence. This helps students to study subjects with more ease and retain the knowledge received from the subject, making them more knowledgeable.
Here are the guidelines you have to follow as a Book Club teacher:
Please click the icon above to access the GDrive for BookClub
SOP For Book Club
1. Ensure the student has read the story prior to your class. This is to save you and your student time.
2. Make use of highlighters. Your student must use highlighters of different colors to emphasize important details with ease. If the student is using a digital copy, PDF readers have the option to highlight in the software.
Blue or green - main ideas
Yellow - key points
Pink - vocabulary
3. Check your student's vocabulary to make sure they fully understand the book. Don't rely too much on translators. You may use body language or hand gestures.
4. To check your student's knowledge, you may give a Book Review activity as soon as the book is finished. Click here for a copy.
5. Make sure to give your student homework. The homework must include reading a passage or pages you assign in advance.
Book Club Guide
(Please choose here by Grade and Reading level)
Reading Level Conversion Chart
Optimal Reading Rates
Modular Progress Report
Reading Book List and Skills
Book Club Initial Evaluation Form
Daily Quiz Template